Top food blogs

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Baliq Palov (Pilaf with fish)


"Baliq palov" is famous in those regions, where fish is commonly used for everyday dishes. I know that, this kind of pilaf is very popular among fishermen in Khorezm region. Maybe it is cooked in some other regions too, I just don't have that information, but I'll try to find out. "Baliq palov" can be prepared out of carp or fresh water catfish or any other "meaty" fat fish.
Ingredients:
500 grams of fish (I used my favorite carp)
500 ml of vegetable oil for frying
2-3 onions, peeled ans sliced
3-4 medium sized carrots, peeled and flaked or cut in thin long strips
350 grams of rice
1 tsp of crushed coriander seeds
2/1 tsp of fresh ground pepper
Salt to taste
Cut fish in medium sized chunks. Heat up oil and deep fry the fish over medium heat, until nice golden color. Take out and set aside.

Very carefully pour out all of the oil, but 130 ml. Put in onions and fry over high heat, until onions are transparent, but not browned. Put in carrot flakes, fry for about 10 min, add in all spices and salt, pour enough water to half cover vegetables. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 20 min (until almost all water is evaporated). Finely wash the rice and layer evenly on top of the vegetables. Pour enough water to cover the rice for half an inch. Set the heat on high and let all the water evaporate. Check for saltiness. Now, mix only the top of the rice, place fried fish chunks on top, cover the lid and cook over very low heat, for about 10-15 min.

Open up the lid, again, carefully mix only the top of the rice and cook for another 10-15 min or until rice is finely cooked.
At the end, take out fish chunks and finely mix the entire pilaf. Serve with fresh vegetable salad and a pot of green tea, enjoy!

Yoqimli ishtaha!!!

5 comments:

  1. I've never tried this or heard of it before, but sounds good. I've had mutton, beef, and chicken in osh, but never baliq. Thanks for the recipe share! I'll try to remember to let you know if I make it successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Callie, of course, let me know about your pilaf, I am sure you will succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can w stir fried the fish instead of deep frying it?
    if so what spice should we add to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think stir fried fish will break down while in rice, but you can always try, just let me know how it turned out. Spices are usually, gorund corinader, some peepr, cumin. If you like to add more spices according to your taste, that is also ok.

      Delete
    2. And I am not sure if stir fried fish will be cooked properly...

      Delete