Top food blogs

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Honim


Honim is cooked in everywhere in Uzbekistan. It is difficult to make but it worth. Every housewife has it's own recipe for this dish. Some don't add cabbage and carrots. But I add all vegetables that I like, it's more juicy and healthier and of course tastier.
Ingredients:
300 gr of meat (usually lamb), minced
2 onions sliced
2 tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and sliced in thin strips
1 big capsicum cut in thin slices
2 carrots, peeled and cut in thin stripes or grated
half of small cabbage, shred finely
Salt as taste
Pepper, ground coriander, cumin seeds
5 tbsp of butter or olive oil for frying
Vegetable or olive oil for greasing
Fresh chopped coriander leaves
Sour cream for serving
For dough:
1 egg
200 ml of water
1 tbsp of salt
Plain flour as needed
Make a dough slightly beating up egg, water and salt. Gradually add flour to make medium hard dough. Cover it and let it stand for 15 min. While it's resting, prepare the filling.
Heat up the pot, pour 5 tbsp of oil, and put cabbage and carrots. Cover the lid, reduce the heat and cook until vegetables are soft. Take from the heat. In a big bowl, combine potatoes, tomatoes, meat, onions, fried cabbage and carrots, capsicum, salt and spices.
Now roll up your dough in very very thin, round shape. Grease some oil evenly all over the surface. Cut in 4 pieces, cutting once in the middle lengthwise and once in the middle vertically. You will get quartered circle. Divide the filling in 4  and spread on top of the each pieces evenly. Now carefully roll every piece of the dough around itself. Place all the pieces in your steamer and cook for 40 min. Cut in pieces, serve with sour cream and fresh chopped coriander:)Some housewives serve it with fried onions and tomato. I like it with sour cream.
Yoqimli ishtaha!!!

1 comment:

  1. Asalamu alaykum malika,
    I have read your recipes and have tried cooking them for 2 years since I've been married. My husband is uzbek and misses his food.
    When I make your recipes first they have no measurements for example when I made your HONIM recipe it says "add flour to make dough" this is not good directions. Your blogging recipes for people to try they should be more accurate and precise. Some of your recipes say add spices. When I try my best and follow your recipes perfectly and serve my husband he says this is not uzbek and it has no taste. I believe all your measurements must be wrong, even for salt. I like your blog and your pics look great, but nothing comes out tasty when I follow your recipes.

    ReplyDelete