Top food blogs

Friday, March 25, 2011

Shirin somsa (Sweet samusa)


"Shirin somsa" is a special samsa which is usually made for Navruz celebrations or any other special occasions. It is high in calorie and very nutritious. I like it's naturally sweetness and that they can be made without any sugar. You can use different dried fruits, but usually black raisins, dried figs, 2-3 kinds of nuts are used for the filling. I also like to add dates, as it gives extra taste and helps to join all the ingredients with it's stickiness. As for as nuts, I usually use almonds and walnuts.
Ingredients:
For dough:
200 grams of butter or margarine
200 ml of sour cream
1 tsp of baking soda
Pinch of vanilla
Plain flour as needed
For filling:
100 grams of walnuts
100 grams of black raisins
100 grams of almonds
100 grams of dried figs
100 grams of dates
4 tbsp of honey or 50 grams of sugar (optional)
First of all, prepare dough and refrigerate for an hour. Chop chilled butter with 1 cup of flour until it will resemble bread crumbs. Add in sour cream, vanilla and baking powder and mix well. Start adding plain flour until you will form soft, but not sticky dough. Wrap and refrigerate.
Chop all of the dried fruits and nuts. Add in honey and mix well.

Take out dough from fridge and divide in two. Roll each piece and cut equally.

I like to make "Shirin somsa"s small, but you can make them bigger if you want.
Roll each piece and put 1.5-2 tsp of filling and pinch the edges.

Roll and shape all of your samsas and bake in preheated oven, until nice golden in color. Sprinkle powdered sugar while samsas are hot.
Serve with a nice hot cup of tea and enjoy!
Yoqimli ishtaha!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    I am so happy that i found a reliable Uzbek cuisine blog. My mothers family are Turkestani (Tashkenti and Bukhari). I have a question about a dish I love, love LOVE. My grandmother (may Allah have mercy on her soul) made the best Laghman ever. Can you please recreate it? thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairuz, I am very happy for you! I have a lot of Laghman recipes here, but I think you are asking about the classic laghman with home made noodles, here http://uzbekcooking.blogspot.com/2009/12/lagmon.html

    ReplyDelete